Breathing is a hot topic for yoga teachers and fitness professionals. Jenn Pilotti and I talk about a study on the 90/90 breath technique with ball and balloon. Postural Restoration Institute (PRI) practitioners use this exercise to help people of all ages with musculoskeletal pain, including low back pain. We discuss the relationship between breathing and posture and how they might affect low back pain.
Jenn Pilotti is a personal trainer, author and lecturer.
- We stray away from idea of ideal breath and posture, but adhere to idea of efficiency
- The ZOA (zone of opposition) and the relationship of the ribcage to pelvis
- The balloon provides resistance. It’s like weight training for your diaphragm.
- Buteyko breathing method.
- Postural Restoration Institute
Correction: We incorrectly referred to the Buteyko breathing method as similar to the 90/90 technique. Buteyko is a completely different therapeutic method that focuses on nasal breathing with controlled pauses.
Yoga & Beyond is on:
Do you enjoy the podcast? If so, please consider leaving a review here.