Tom Myers is the originator of the Anatomy Trains Myofascial Meridians, and director of Kinesis Myofascial Integration (KMI). He studied directly with Drs. Ida Rolf, Moshe Feldenkrais, and Buckminster Fuller and has practiced integrative manual therapy for more than 30 years.
Tom talks about changes to the most recent edition of Anatomy Trains (3rd edition), the latest in fascia research, the new biomechanics, why leaders in the yoga community need to be more responsible when it comes to preventing injury and much more.
- The two changes to myofascial lines in the 3rd edition of Anatomy Trains! A new line from the armpit to the inside of the knee and a change to the spiral lines.
- Some differences between KMI and Rolfing
- Another Ida Rolf aphorism: “Get your physics under your metaphysics.”
- What the Anatomy Trains Fascial Training Course is all about
- How the yoga teacher community utilizes the Anatomy Trains and how we can do it better
- Why leaders in the yoga community need more training
- The yoga teacher community needs more regulation – we have an obligation to the public and need to be more acountable
- Common yoga injuries that he sees
- What the New Biomechanics is
- Fascia is the richest sensory organ in the body
- Why research isn’t gospel
- Myofascial Force Transmission
- What healthy,organized fascia looks like – a double lattice arrangement (like an onion bag)
- Why he encourages professionals in the body work world to take a dissection course
Body Teaser: Organize Your Fascia!
[The body teasers are a play on brain teasers. The goal is to experiment, get us thinking about how we move and ultimately to improve how we move.]
Put your fascia under stretch and load. There are so many ways you can do this. Virtually any movement practice you can think of will affect the fascia in different ways. Tell your gym teacher, trainer, yoga teacher (any movement professional) that you’re interested in fascia health and ask what they recommend is best for you. If they don’t know what you’re talking about, keep looking and find someone who does!