In this second interview, mobility maker and creator of Radius Yoga, Dana Santas talks more about how she works with athletes, why breathing is THE fundamental movement pattern and her beef with good posture.
Update: Since this was recorded, Dana has become team yoga trainer for the Toronto Blue Jays and her husband is now Head of Strength & Conditioning.
- Some PRI assessments she uses and the functional squat
- Breathing is our most fundamental pattern. Diaphragm has the strongest relationship to every other muscle in the body. Fix that then will make it easier to fix other things. (here’s a pub med article on the diaphragm)
- How to use breathing to enhance movement – such as a pitcher’s shoulder mobility
- Why she never stretches shoulders
- How the alternating and reciprocal nature of the ribcage and diaphragm can be leveraged in yoga poses
- Why the term good posture irks her – because no one knows what that means
- Why women should strength train
The Functional Squat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fStJcID0jB8
Check her website for these upcoming events:
Summer Strong 9: Columbia, SC, May 20-22 2016: Dana will present: “Tapping Your Inner Strength & Ultimate Control: Breathing as a Super Power in Sport & Life”
Perform Better Summit: Orlando, FL, June 2-5, 2016: Dana will present: “Breathe Better to Move Better & Feel Better in Sports & Fitness Training”
Athletic Body in Balance by Gray Cook was one of her most influential books after becoming a yoga teacher:
Do you enjoy the podcast? If so, please leave a short review here. Your feedback matters to me and helps the podcast grow!